General James P. Brownlow

Brig. Gen. James P. Brownlow married Belle Cliffe, daug. of Dr. D.B. Cliffe. Though a Union man, he won the hearts of Franklin having ex-Confederate pall-bearers. He is buried in the Cliffe lot in Rest Haven.

Brig. Gen. James P. Brownlow

Brownlow’s marker at Rest Haven Cemetery.

Posted in Cemetery, Civil War, People | Leave a comment

Dr. Daniel B. Cliffe (1823-1913)

Dr. Daniel B. Cliffe (1823-1913)

Dr. Daniel B. Cliffe 1823-1913 was born in Ohio and came to Franklin in 1836 to be with his uncle, Dr. Daniel McPhail. His father was Dr. Joseph Cliffe and mother, Isabella McPhail Cliffe Smith. He married Virginia Whitfield in 1842 and were the parents of 6 children: John A., Daniel McPhail, James R., Joseph E., Charles Q. and Isabella, who married General James P. Brownlow (1). He was surgeon in the 20th TN Inf CSA until Fishing Creek, when he was captured and exchanged. He resigned his commission and returned to Franklin and became a strong Union man. He was president of the Tennessee & Alabama Railroad and the Franklin National Bank.

(1) Brig. Gen. James P. Brownlow married Belle Cliffe, daug. of Dr. D.B. Cliffe. Though a Union man, he won the hearts of Franklin having ex-Confederate pall-bearers. He is buried in the Cliffe lot in Rest Haven.

Posted in Civil War, People | Leave a comment

Franklin’s last horse drawn taxi.

Uncle Harry Marsh (1857-1950) was Franklin’s last horse drawn taxi. He was beloved by children for he let them ride on the back of the cab free. He lived on Mt. Hope Street.

The taxi in the picture above is now displayed at the Williamson County Archives and Museum in Franklin.

Harry Marsh was the last taxi service to use horse drawn cab. He never drove an automobile. This is a photo opportunity. He lost a leg in an accident and was limited to the type of work he could do. He was beloved by the local children for he let them ride on back of cab free.

Posted in Business, People | Leave a comment

John Ed Lampley barn

The John Ed Lampley barn on Lampley Road is one of the more substantial barns still standing in western Williamson County. It once held large amounts of loose hay, which was pushed into the feeding boxes below. Notice the right side of the barn was built at an angle to force the hay into the feeding boxes by gravity. John Ed Lampley was a Pinewood Rd. merchant & farmer.

Pinewood Road grocer, John Ed Lampley built this house on Lampley road and reared his large family here. The house stood vacate for many years and was burned by vandals.

Posted in Business, People, Structures | Leave a comment

How did some Franklin residents respond to the news of the capture of Nashville?

Sallie Florence McEwen

Sallie Florence McEwen (1846-1867), daughter of John B. McEwen and Cynthia B. Graham McEwen, married Rev. W.L. Rosser in 1866 and they had one daughter, Florence Atkerson of Creek Side.

Fort Donelson fell into Union hands on February 16, 1862 as the entire fort surrendered to U.S. Grant, resulting in over 12,000 Confederate soldiers becoming prisoners of war.  Not only did this give the Union unfettered access along the Cumberland River, but it’s capture resulted in the capitulation of Nashville to the Union army without a shot being fired. Nashville was the second-largest city in the lower South, only New Orleans was larger.

The news of the fall of Fort Donelson must have stunned and terrified the local residents of Franklin and Williamson County, as this diary excerpt from Sallie Florence McEwen indicates.  The news must have traveled quickly that day as McEwen wrote this entry on Sunday the 16th, the day of the actual surrender.

“Fort Donelson has fallen. We are defeated. A great number of prisoners have been taken, among them a great number of our acquaintances. There is great panic in Nashville, the people are fleeing from there is in great numbers.”

Sunday, February 16, 1862 – The Journal of Sallie Florence McEwen. A Franklin, Tennessee resident.
Source (McEwen quote and image): Williamson County & the Civil War: As Seen Through the Female Experience. 2008.

Adelicia “Addie” McEwen German (1848-1942) was Sallie’s younger sister. She married Dr. Daniel B. German in 1869. She wrote the following related to Fort Donelson.

Addie McEwen

“Our first sight of the Yankees was in February 1862 when Fort Donelson fell. It was on Sunday morning and we had gone to Sunday School. had finished with our lessons and were coming out of church, when unusual commotion in  the street attracted our attention. On looking down towards the Squre, it seemed as if the whole of Heavens had dropped down, so blue were the streets with the blue coated Yankees and the Starry Ground to be with them, they were so gay with gold stars and lace; the Southern Army men in full retreat, just ahead of them . . . One poor fellow, who had fired cannons at Fort Donelson three days, was intatters and barefooted. Tears ran constantly down his cheeks, and he couldn’t shut his mouth, so pitiful was he, that he was clothes from his head to his feet and bountifully fed. He expressed himself as feeling like the “prodigal son” returned.”

Source:  Williamson County & the Civil War: As Seen Through the Female Experience. Rick Warwick, 2010: 15.
Posted in Civil War, People | Leave a comment

What were some of the prominent homes and businesses in Williamson County in 1860?

How many homes or structures exist in Franklin today that were here in 1864?

I count 28 or 29 in downtown Franklin and add two more if you include the Truett House and Jasmine Grove. then you could add Wyatt hall and Creekside inside the Mack Hatcher.

Your favorite antebellum home in Franklin or Williamson County: no longer standing?  Still standing?

Everbright , Westview and the McNutt House are no longer standing. Clouston Hall and Carter House in Franklin.

Sources: Rick Warwick, Williamson County Historical Society

https://i0.wp.com/farm4.static.flickr.com/3238/2316586361_45bf23fdfe.jpg
Visit this link to see pictures of historical buildings and structures of Williamson County.
Posted in Civil War | Leave a comment

New book on the history of College Grove

College Grove
Williamson County, Tennessee
History & Families

By History & Genealogy Group
Fifty Forward, College Grove

College Grove is a community located in the southeastern portion of Williamson County in Middle Tennessee. It is adjacent to Rutherford County, and it has had close connection with some of the communities in that county as well. Bedford, Marshall, and Maury Counties are also nearby.

Hardbound, 464 pages. 2011.
To order the book:  Order form
Posted in Book | Leave a comment